Monday, August 13, 2012

Child led weaning: a special and exclusive journey I shared with my first born, Trinity, from 8th Sept 2009- 28th Feb 2011

It is finished.

Finished. Not to symbolize an end but to mark a new developmental milestone.



And so I swore that I would breastfeed till at least when Trinity was 6 months old. However, the initial period was so terrifying, I'd thought I would have never made it through.



Severe low milk supply that cause Trinity to have Starvation Jaundice. She was hospitalized for 3 days 2 nights and I cried for 6 hours on that day she was admitted, forcing myself to eat so that I could still have milk for her.



Stress was the main reason for the low supply. That was when I decided to focus on Jesus and let him take over. I went to Mrs Wong at Thomson Parent craft and she helped tremendously in assessing and providing tips for increase of milk flow. (Thank you Mrs Wong, Lilian and Team!!! Eternal gratefulness!)



By the time Trinity was 2 months old, she only needed 1 side per feed. By the time she was 5 months olld and I was going back to work, I had more than 150 packets of frozen breastmilk on reserve for her.



I continued to pump at work and let her feed on demand after work and started supplementing her with formula when she was about 11 months old.



After 12 months old, I felt that she will need to stop eventually but I prayed and believed for a child initiated weaning as I did not want any tears, agony and pain. I wanted her to be ready herself.

2 weeks ago, she started to tell me that I didnt have milk. She asked for Formula and she started to sleep throughout the night. She didn't need to latch on to sleep. She didn't need any comfort feeding.

Though I was sad as this exclusive bonding journey has come to an end, I am happy for her!

We had communion and prayed over her that the journey ahead will be even better. :)



Genesis 21:8 And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.



Thank you Trinity for this special journey, Mummy will never forget this , :) I love you.p

No comments:

Post a Comment