Tuesday, October 9, 2012

HomemadeMultigrain buns recipe

I love multigrain buns and like it really packed with lots of walnuts and cranberries. I also love post cereal, especially banana nut crunch or pecan nut crunch, I could also never get enough of the multigrain toppings with flaxseed, sesame seed, oats and so many more bits of powerful goodness! So the best way to satisfy my family and I is to bake my own bread!
Ever since I started to bake my own bread, I became addicted to it. I love the aroma of the bread baking in the oven, I like it that it doesn't have any preservatives and how I can have the flexibility to customize the toppings and filling!

For the bread recipe, i am using a modified version of the Hong Kong Pai bao 排包 recipe from Christine's recipes

http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/11/pai-bao-hong-kong-sweet-buns.html?m=1

Ingredients:
Dry ingredients:
370 gm bread flour
65 gm icing sugar
5 gm salt
12 gm full cream milk powder
6 gm instant dry yeast
Wet ingredients:
1 egg yolk
30 gm whisked egg
125 gm milk
120 gm tangzhong
28 gm condensed milk
75ml whipping cream
To add after the above ingredients are kneaded:
35 gm unsalted butter, softened

Multigrains toppings:
150gm walnuts,
150gm cranberries,
50gm multigrain,
250gm post banana nut crunch cereal or post pecan nut crunch cereal.

Recipe for tangzhong:
44gm bread flour
220ml water

Whisk until smooth and continue whisking under lot heat till you get a slightly thicker consistency like white glue and remove from heat.
Use cling wrap to wrap the tang Zhong to prevent a thin layer of membrane from forming till you are ready to use it. Keep overnight in refrigerator for 1 day if you need but I prefer to discard if I have leftovers.

Now that you have gotten your tang Zhong ready, let's start making the buns!
1. Add the wet ingredients (milk, cream, egg, tangzhong)
2. Add the dry ingredients (salt, sugar, milk powder, bread flour, yeast).
Note: make a small well in the bread flour, then add the yeast into it.
3. Knead in mixer till all ingredients come together into a wet sticky dough.
4. Add butter, continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic for 20 minutes medium speed.
5. Now that the dough is done, you can slowly add in the toppings into the dough and continue kneading at slow speed in the mixer. I love to add lots and lots of toppings lavishly! The trick is add slowly, a little at a time so that the mixer can knead evenly till you get all of them in!
6. Split into 2 portions of kneaded dough into 2 big bowls and cover with cling wrap with no air bubbles.
7. let the dough complete the 1st round of proofing, about 40 minutes or until double in size.
8. Use the bread scrapper and scrap up 16 portions. As this recipe yields sticky dough, I don't use my hands. I just make sure there are 16 lumps either on individual non stick casings
Or on non stick baking tray.
9. Top with more multi grains and proof for the second round for another 40 minutes. When the dough rises until double, lightly brush the surface with whisked egg.
10. Bake in a pre-heated 180C (356F) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until turns brown. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.

More variations of pai bao recipes and other can be found on my blog:
http://mummyposhpearl.blogspot.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment